Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography PET-CT scan is a method of imaging that involves a machine which will help in the generation of images of patients after a small amount of medical isotope is being injected into them. Usually, this method is used for the detection and monitoring of cancer, evaluating the effects of a heart attack, and determination of any abnormalities in the brain. If you are looking out for pet ct scan centers in Bangalore you need to know how they can be beneficial to you. Let us check out the advantages they offer us.
Also Read: Know More About The Benefits Of Aloe Vera
The advantages of PET CT scan:
Right from cancer care, evaluation, treatment too early diagnosis, you have various reasons to undergo PET CT scan. Let us see what they include:
- Neurology: with the help of PET CT scan the detection of Alzheimer’s and dementia is possible. Also, the precise location of the surgery of epilepsy can be determined. Diagnosis of Parkinson’s and other movement disorders can also be detected with the help of PET CT scans.
- Oncology:PET CT scan is very useful especially when it comes to detection of cancer. tumors can be assessed and the success of the treatment can be monitored. Also, with this type of a scan, the doctors get to know if cancer has spread out to the other parts of the body.
- Cardiology: if you have already suffered from a heart attack then with the help of the PET CT scan you will be able to determine as to which tissue of the heart is still active. Also, while predicting the angioplasty bypass surgery success this PET CT scan can be very beneficial.
If you have to undergo a pet ct scan in Bangalore then this needs to be done under the recommendation of a referring doctor. Never undergo such procedures on your own terms.
What are the safety tips for patients before they undergo the procedure?
- You need to make it clear to your doctor and let him know if you have any allergies or adverse reactions to any medications – letting them know your medical history is of utmost importance.
- You need to leave your valuables at home or in the hospital – your belongings cannot be taken along with you while undergoing a PET CT scan.
- Also, if you require any interpreting service then you need to inform the faculty as they will make sure that it is being arranged for you.
- Also, make sure that you get the list of your current medications.
How will you be asked to prepare for the procedure?
Prior 24 hours to the date of your appointment, you need to follow a diet which will be told to you. So, 6 hours before the procedure you need to make sure that you do not consume any beverage or eatables except water. You should try and drink as much water as you can as this will be beneficial to you. Also, you can continue with your routine medications but if you have been asked to discontinue them then you should strictly follow the rules. If you are under medication for diabetes then you can take your medicines 4 hours before the procedure starts off. You need to ensure that you reach at least 30 minutes prior to your appointment so that there is no delay in conducting the PRT CT scan.
What are the oncological applications?
- Difference between the radiation necrosis and tumor recurrence.
- The solid solitary pulmonary nodule can also be characterized.
- Before a patient undergoes a bone marrow transplant the volume of the disease can be accessed along with the transplant suitability.
- You will be able to detect a primary site when in history imaging hasn’t succeeded in showing the primary site.
What will happen during the procedure?
In the first place, you will need to remain calm during your procedure. Well, if you want to know the exact duration of the procedure then that will vary from person to person but on average the whole PET-CT scan procedure will take about 2 hours. Once you have been positioned on the table, you will be asked to keep still and hold your breath. Apart from these instructions, the technologist will also brief you about what needs to be done – so there is absolutely no need to panic in this situation. If you are too worried about something and have some doubts in mind, do not hesitate to ask the technologist your queries. They will be answered with patience and understanding.
After the completion of the entire procedure, you will be asked to consume at least 5 glasses of water. But if in case you can sense symptoms like your eyes itching, sneezing, rashes, hives, nausea, vomiting, you need to inform the staff urgently. They are professionals who are well trained and experienced and will help you get back to normal. While they help you out, make sure that you are co-operative and follow their instructions with patience.
The unique features of the PET CT scan:
Fine volumetric resolution: the detection system will make sure that each component of the imaging chain has been optimized. Apart from this, it also has some single source dual energy capabilities of the CT which is useful for the improved contrast of the lesion.
Increase in the accuracy: there can be a huge change in the management of patients which can be possible with accuracy. With the help of the matrix, the resolution can be potentially increased which will then further lead to improved detection.
Motion is virtually frozen: with an innovative combination of both software as well as the hardware the respiratory motion can be virtually frozen. This will then enable full lesion detection in high definition and the quantification of the accurate standard uptake value (SUV).
Precision in the imaging of the organs: some important aspects like speed, management of the motion and resolution of the image can be adjusted to the dimensions of the organs precisely.